Saturday, February 27, 2010

Bistro Jeanty in Yountville, Napa, California, USA


We drove through the wet and cold weather in California but when we closed in on Yountville, a gaping hole appeared through the dark clouds, as if an invisible force field had blocked the dark clouds from entering the region. After a one and a half hour drive, we appeared at the doors of Bistro Jeanty. The unusual sunny, cheery sky (contrary to the weather reports) and sub twenty degrees (in celsius) temperature was good weather that creates good mood, for good food.


As I walk through the door, I stepped into a humble yet cosy bistro, its decor not as chi-chi as Bouchon Bistro (just 2 minutes walk away). Bistro Jeanty got a good wine list, very typical of restaurants in the Napa wine country. Even though Bistro Jeanty is on Napa soil, they still import a good number of wine from the French regions.


BON APPETIT

Petit Salë Aux Lentilles
Pork Belly and a Lentil with a Foie Gras Ragout
The whole appetizer was exuberating with savoriness from the lentils soaked in sauce. The highlights were pork belly, my favourite, and the grilled foie gras cooked to 'melt-in-your-mouth' standards.


Daube De Boeuf
Beef Stew with Mashed Potatoes,
Buttered Peas and Carrots
KK picked this beef stew dish. This beef stew was cooked so soft and tender that there was no need for the knife. I swear I was picking at the beef with only one fork. This is one beef meal that I wouldn't mind eating with my lousy set of teeth that is not efficient in tearing. It was KK's first French cuisine experience. I was glad this beef stew made his wonderful maiden experience .


Cassoulet
Baked Beans with Duck Confit,
Sausage and Apple Smoked Bacon
When my Cassoulet appeared, I was delighted. Somehow, I knew that I will enjoy the duck confit, sausage and bacon buried inside the beans. Another dish that I ate with only my fork. Soft, tender meats and the rich flavours engulfed me. By the way, the duck meat virtually slipped off its bones when I picked at it. Marvelous!


Michelin Star
Bistro Jeanty had been awarded the Michelin Star for the past three years. Although, they are just one star, I selfishly hope they stay so. I want them to stay affordable for my second visit. This bistro is definitely worth a revisit.


6510 Washington Street
Yountville, CA 94599
California, USA
Tel : 707-944-0103

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails